Hanging Christmas lights around your garage door is a great way to add a festive flair to your home during the holiday season. However, it’s essential to do it correctly to avoid damaging your home and ensure your lights look their best. In this blog post, we’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to hang lights around garage door and some tips for achieving a professional look. We’ll also share some alternative ways to hang lights that don’t require nails or screws so that you can choose the best method.
3 Easy Steps for How to Hang Lights Around Garage Door
Step 1: Gather Materials
Before you begin hanging your Christmas lights, you must gather some materials. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Christmas lights: Make sure you have enough to cover the entire garage door length, with some extra in case you need it. LED lights are a good option because they are energy-efficient and long-lasting.
- Clips or hangers: You’ll need something to attach the lights to your garage door. Several options are available, including nail-on, screw-on, adhesive, and trim clips.
- Tape measure: You’ll need to measure the length of your garage door to determine how many lights you need and where to place them.
- Hammer or drill: If you’re using nail-on or screw-on clips, you’ll need a hammer or drill to attach them to your garage door.
- Ladder: You’ll need a ladder to reach the top of your garage door, so make sure you have a sturdy one that’s tall enough to reach the highest point.
Once you have all these materials, you can start hanging your Christmas lights!
Step 2: Measure the Door
The next step in hanging your Christmas lights around your garage door is to measure the door to determine how many lights you need and where to place them. Here’s how to do it:
- Use a tape measure to measure the width and height of your garage door.
- Multiply the width by 2 to determine the total length of lights you’ll need to cover both sides of the door.
- Add a few extra feet to the total length to ensure you have enough lights to cover the entire door.
- Mark the spots where you’ll be attaching the clips. For nail-on or screw-on clips, mark the spots where you’ll hammer in the nails or screws. For adhesive clips, mark the spots where you’ll be attaching the clips.
- Space the clips evenly along the length of the door, leaving enough room between them to avoid overcrowding the lights.
By measuring your door and marking the spots where you’ll attach the clips, you’ll ensure that your lights are evenly spaced and look their best.
Step 3: Hang the Lights
Now that you have measured the door and marked the spots for the clips, it’s time to hang the lights. Here’s how to do it:
- Turn off the power to your garage door opener to avoid any electrical hazards.
- If you’re using nail-on or screw-on clips, hammer or screw the clips into the door at the marked spots. Attach the clips to the door at the marked spots if you’re using adhesive clips.
- Begin hanging the lights on the clips, starting at one end of the door and working your way to the other. Make sure the lights are securely attached to the clips and that they are evenly spaced.
- For vertical runs, use trim clips that wrap around the light string and hold it into place. Aim for a clip every 12 inches or so.
- Once you have finished hanging the lights, turn the power back on to your garage door opener and test the lights to ensure they work properly.
By following these steps, you can hang your Christmas lights safely and securely around your garage door, creating a beautiful and festive display for all to enjoy.
6 Tips for a Professional Look
If you want your Christmas lights display to have a professional look, here are some tips to follow:
- Use lights of the same color and style to create a cohesive look.
- Choose LED lights over traditional incandescent lights. LED lights last longer, use less energy, and are safer because they don’t get hot.
- Use clips that are designed specifically for hanging Christmas lights. These clips are easy to install and won’t damage your garage door.
- Use a timer to turn your lights on and off automatically. This will save energy and ensure that your lights are on when people are most likely to see them.
- Add greenery or other decorations to your display to create a more festive look.
- Make sure your lights are evenly spaced and straight. Use a level to ensure that your horizontal runs are level, and use a plumb line to ensure that your vertical runs are straight.
Following these tips, you can create a professional-looking Christmas lights display that impresses your neighbors and passersby.
5 Alternative Ways to Hang Lights
If you’re not able to or prefer not to use clips to hang your Christmas lights around your garage door, here are some alternative ways to do it:
- Use fishing line: Tie the fishing line around the lights at regular intervals and then tie the fishing line to hooks or screws already installed on your garage door. This will create the illusion that the lights are floating in mid-air.
- Use suction cups: Attach suction cups to your garage door and then attach the lights to the suction cups using wire or a fishing line.
- Use adhesive hooks: Attach adhesive hooks to your garage door and then attach the lights to the hooks using wire or fishing line.
- Use PVC pipe: Cut PVC pipe to the length of your garage door and then attach the lights to the pipe using wire or fishing line. Use hooks or screws to attach the PVC pipe to your garage door.
- Use no-hole hangers: Attach no-hole hangers to your garage door and attach the lights to the hangers using wire or a fishing line.
Using these alternative methods, you’ll be able to hang your Christmas lights around your garage door without using clips or damaging your garage door.
FAQs About How to Hang Lights Around Garage Door
What Do You Use to Hang Lights Around a Garage?
There are a few ways to hang lights around a garage, including hooks or clips that come with the lights, zip ties to fasten the strings, or trim clips for vertical runs. Additionally, it is important to calculate the necessary lumens for proper lighting in the garage, with at least one 8-foot fluorescent fixture per vehicle space and around 300 lumens per square foot for task lighting. A popular option for garages with high ceilings is a dimmable light with a hook for easy installation.
Are Led Lights Good for a Garage?
Yes, LED lights are a good option for a garage. LEDs are often ideal for garages because they “last forever” and are bright. LED wraparound lights are a great option for illuminating garages with lower ceilings. They are installed level with the ceiling surface and do not hang as low as an ordinary shop light, keeping them out of the way of ladders and other items you might move around the space.
Can Led Lights Be Used in Garage?
Yes, LED lights can be used in a garage. Commercial Electric’s 4-foot 4-light 80-watt Utility LED Shop Light with Pull Chain is recommended by The Spruce as a good option for garage lighting. LED lights can also be automated with motion sensors to save energy.
What Colour Light is Best for the Garage?
Depending on personal preference, a color temperature between 4000-5000 Kelvin is ideal for most garages. This temperature range provides a cool, white light that is bright enough for a garage workspace. Warm or cool white LED lights can be used, but it’s recommended to avoid yellow or blue light as they can distort colors and make it difficult to see details in the space.
What Are the Best Lights to Hang in a Garage?
Some of the best lights to hang in a garage are LED shop lights, which are easy to install and provide bright, cool-toned lighting. The recommended options are the Commercial Electric 4 ft. 4-Light 80-Watt Utility LED Shop Light and the Hykolity 5000K LED Shop Light. The time Illuminator 360 LED Light, AVANLO Super Slim LED Ceiling Light Fixture, and other LED recessed, high bay, slimline, plug-in, or wraparound lights have also been recommended.
Hanging Christmas lights around your garage door is a great way to add extra curb appeal to your home during the holiday season. By gathering the necessary materials, measuring your door, and correctly hanging the lights, you can create a beautiful display that will impress your neighbors and passersby. If you want your display to look professional, follow the tips outlined above. And if you’re not able to use clips to hang your lights, alternative methods will allow you to create a stunning display without damaging your garage door. With a little effort and creativity, you can create a beautiful holiday display that will bring joy to your family and friends.